Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hobbies

Following my thoughts on joining Ladies Circle I want to turn back time to think about the big hobby in my life - historical re-enactment. Or more specifically John Brights Regiment of the Roundhead Association of the English Civil War Society. I suppose I should start by saying this wasn't something I found and developed an interest in but rather something that has always been a part of my life. My parents met through this, I met my husband through this and some of my closest friends have come into my life via this hobby.


I can here people asking 'what is this', 'what do you do', 'what does it entail' and the short answer is a group of friends who portray a life gone past in the terms of military and civilian history in the form of battle and skirmish displays, dill displays, encampments and other such demonstrations. 'Where do we do this', all over the place - in the last few years I have been as far south as Lulworth Cove and as far north of Lanark.


'Why do I do this?'
Because I enjoy it? Because I get a lot out of it? Out of habit?
All of the above? Maybe. I enjoy the company and I enjoy spending time with good friend but things like this rarely come without stresses. my current role within the group means that I spend a great deal of time organising other people and, whilst I have a wonderful support network for which I am incredibly grateful, it is not the easiest thing in the world to do when your own life feels so out of control. However being the control freak that I am this is one area of my life that I can manage - I decide what events I want to go to, knowing what is expected of me once I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment