Thursday, August 5, 2010

Empathy

So, when people use the word empathy or the phrase 'I can empathise' what is it they actual mean?


This was said of us and our situation lately and to be honest, got me quite cross. In my eyes unless you have walked a mile in our shoes you have no idea what our situation entails, what we are going through and how we are feeling so to use this word is totally unacceptable. For me 'empathy' involves understanding and knowledge both of which can only be gained by actually speaking to us, something this person has yet to make the effort to do.


I guess people use this when they don't want to use the word 'sympathy' as this has the connotation that they feel sorry for you so again, maybe not really the right word or phrasing but better in this context as it does not imply understanding.



So the next question is 'I am over reacting' in a typical me kind of way? The answer is almost definatly 'probably' but it doesn't change anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment